Josh Duggar Is Convicted of Downloading Child Sexual Abuse Imagery

Mr. Duggar, who gained celebrity on the TLC reality show “19 Kids and Counting,” faces a maximum penalty of 40 years in prison and $500,000 in fines.,

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

Supported by

Continue reading the main story

Josh Duggar, a onetime star of the TLC reality show “19 Kids and Counting,” about a large family guided by conservative Christian values, was convicted on Thursday in federal court in Arkansas of downloading child sexual abuse imagery.

A jury returned the verdict in the U.S. District Court in Fayetteville, Ark., one day after it began its deliberations in a case that drew widespread attention.

Mr. Duggar, 33, was found guilty on one count of receiving child pornography and one count of possessing child pornography, each of which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

The verdict came a little over a week into the trial of Mr. Duggar, who was arrested in April. He was accused of using the internet to download explicit material showing the sexual abuse of children, some younger than 12, according to an indictment.

In a statement emailed shortly after the verdict, Mr. Duggar’s lawyers said that they would contest the verdict.

“We appreciate the jury’s lengthy deliberations, we respect the jury’s verdict, and we intend to appeal,” his lawyers said.

Mr. Duggar had pleaded not guilty and had been free on a personal-recognizance bond that was granted by the judge. He was taken into custody on Thursday after his conviction.

In 2015, TLC decided to withdraw all episodes of “19 Kids and Counting” after In Touch Weekly reported on a 2006 police report that said Mr. Duggar had as a teenager molested several girls. At least 20 companies pulled their ads from the show, which made its debut in 2008 and was one of the cable network’s top performers, and TLC canceled it.

No criminal charges resulted from the allegations, which had passed the statute of limitations. Mr. Duggar’s parents told Fox News in 2015 that four of the five girls their son molested were his sisters.

At the time, Mr. Duggar apologized in a statement to People magazine that was also posted on the Duggar family’s Facebook page.

“Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret,” he said in the statement, which is no longer visible on Facebook. “I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation.”

Mr. Duggar also resigned from his position as the director of the lobbying arm of the conservative Family Research Council.

“We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling,” Mr. Duggar said in his statement to People. “I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”

Michael Levenson contributed reporting.

Leave a Reply